Sunday, November 15, 2009

Why Do I Have to Go to Church?

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger. --Keith Green
On the other hand, if you're not going to church, you're not much of a Christian either. --Me
Raise your hand if you've heard this before: "I believe in God, but I don't like organized religion." Or how about this one, "I don't have to go to church to worship God. I can worship him anywhere." These are just a couple of the many reasons people give for not attending church services.

Let's hit the first one first. Organized religion. Who do they think organized it? Hmmm, well, I believe it was Jesus Christ who did that. Maybe God is in favor of organized religion. Maybe if you don't like organized religion, you are not on God's side.
24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Hebrews 10:24, 25

Now for the second one. Can you really worship God anywhere, in any way? The Samaritans thought they could. They worshipped God, but not in the way the Jews worshipped him. They worshipped in the mountain instead of at Jerusalem as was commanded by the law. Jesus didn't think much of their worship. He said they didn't know what they worshipped.
19The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.

20Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.

21Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

22Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

23But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

John 4:19-24

Jesus said that two things were necessary for worship of God: spirit and truth. I believe that worshipping in spirit means that I am not making an outward show, but that I am truly worshpping him in my heart. I believe that worshipping in truth means doing it in the correct way. In this time period, we are to worship God along with a body of believers, a church.
21Unto [God] be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Ephesians 3:21
People don't want to be part of a church because it's hard. You have to put up with folks that irritate you sometimes. You have to make decisions and be responsible. You have to roll out of bed on Sunday morning and get dressed. You have to be accountable for your actions.

I know. It's hard sometimes. Still, I believe that it's totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment