Sunday, February 21, 2010

Declaration of Independence

Do you ever feel that guilt runs your life?

I've realized that the guilt factor plays a big part in my daily activities. I feel guilty when I throw things away, let opportunities slide, or fail to do something that I've been asked to do (whether or not I agreed to do it).

This is my Declaration of Independence.
  • I will no longer fill out surveys for you. No, not you, Wal-Mart, or you, Dollar General, or you, random web site. I won't do it.
  • I will no longer return product registration cards. No, I will not, despite the threats of not knowing about product recalls.
  • I will not read emails from politicians or their cronies. I don't need them. Anything they say could be read in the newspaper with less bias.
  • I will not read forwards, whether text or email. If they're funny, I've probably seen them before. If they're gooey, I do not want to see them.
  • I will not download "free" products. A synonym for "free" in this case should be "useless."
  • I will not make my bed. At least, I won't feel guilty when I don't. (I haven't made my bed regularly since 2003, but I feel guilty about it at times. Especially when other people look at it.)
There's nothing wrong with doing any of these things. The problem occurs when these activities take up time that I would rather use doing something else, like spending time with my friends and family.

I refuse to be guilted into mindless, useless, tasks any longer.

Is there something you don't do that you feel guilty about?

No comments:

Post a Comment