Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Query

This poem is not quite the way I want it. Those last two lines are begging to be revamped. I have stared at it too long, though, so I thought I'd let it breathe a while and come back to it.

If this green tree should branch into your wood,
Produce pale blossoms sweetly dropping down,
Would you protect its sticky sapling blood?
Allow its roots to anchor in your ground?

Would you defend its branches year by year,
From those who'd strip the leaves and peel the bark?
Would you snip off the suckers rooting there,
And teach the limbs to thicken strong, stalwart?

If lightning burns the crown and mars its head,
Would you remain until its boughs replace?
And when it topples over, topples dead,
Mourn its shattered brow and kiss its face?

In time, this tree will give you every fruit,
And when she's gone, she'll leave of you a shoot.


2 comments:

  1. so I know you were interested in having a blog theme... is it going to be poetry? I wouldn't have expected a science teacher to have such a knack for poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... I decided for my New Year's resolution that I was going to spend more time on writing. And I wanted to keep up with my blog as well. I thought I could kill two birds with one stone this way. My plan was to post a new poem every week, whether it was old or freshly written. I'm still working on carving out time to work on them, but at least this way, I have a goal in mind. Hmmmm.... maybe I can get this week's post up today.

    Oh, and thanks for the compliment. It's mostly for my own enjoyment, but I'm pretty happy when other people enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete