Sunday, February 10, 2013

Shakespeare Reconstructed

A million apologies to Shakespeare for today's poem. I reconstructed his sonnet 116 "Let me not to the marriage of true minds". I have no aspirations to write better poetry than Shakespeare. I used it only for inspiration.

In Honor Of Valentine's Day


Souls marry before flesh, if love be true.
None can divide lovers, indeed division
Would be proof of love's lack,
A flimsy mockery, a shadow, easily torn.
Right, honest love does not waver, because
It is a fixed decision, a solemn vow,
A firm, unyielding product of the soul.
It is little to onlookers, all to those who love.
It steadies through disaster, sustains through grief.
Fading youth, and lost hopes will not swamp it,
Built by faithful hearts, it carries on,
And death only can cast it asunder.
I swear this is true, and if it's proven false,
Then love does not exist, no one has known it.

No comments:

Post a Comment