Sunday, December 7, 2014

Allergen-Free Slow Cooker Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf

Posting my recipes on my blog has become really handy. Last week, my husband was able to cook one of my recipes by looking it up on my blog while I was at work. I do intend to print these out, but it's one of those things I haven't gotten around to.

I am planning to print several recipes for my family and friends before I go into labor with this baby. I doubt I will be able to cook for a while after he's born, and I would like to be fed. For a person with a normal diet, this probably wouldn't be a big deal, but for a person like me with several food intolerances, it's going to help to be able to give exact instructions.

My last big success in the kitchen has been this winner, Turkey and Quinoa meatloaf. (You can find the original recipe on Allrecipes.com by clicking here.)  Both my husband and I really like this meatloaf. There are never any leftovers when I cook it. Normally I would make meatloaf with ground beef and oatmeal, but I think this recipe is superior in taste to even that!

Of course I adapted the recipe. First of all, I needed it to be non-allergenic. Secondly, I wanted to cook it in the slow cooker because I don't have a working oven. What follows is my adaptation.

Allergen-Free Slow Cooker Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf
(gluten-free, soy-free, corn-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free)
adapted from original recipe by Drew on Allrecipes.com
This makes about 5 servings, so if you have more than two people in your family, you should probably double the recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (I buy the frozen meat from ALDI and thaw it.)
  • 1/4 c. quinoa
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1 tsp. oil (I use canola.)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic, chopped (I use 1 tbs. of pre-chopped, canned garlic.)
  • 1 tbsp. tomato paste, 1 tbsp. ketchup, or 1/4 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz. can) (I have used both the ketchup and the diced tomatoes successfully. I never have tomato paste on hand.)
  • 1 tbsp. hot pepper sauce
  • 1 tsp. smoke flavoring (the original recipe calls for 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, but I substitute smoke flavoring because it has no allergens.)
  • 1 tbsp. ground flax seed (can use 1 egg if you aren't allergic)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • (optional) 2 tbsp. brown sugar (I misread the recipe and put this in the meatloaf instead of the sauce once. I thought it was better that way. It made the meatloaf sweeter.)
  • Ingredients for the sauce topping are listed on the original recipe. I have never made the sauce because I cook this in the slow cooker. I tend to eat the meatloaf plain or use ketchup. Since I can't vouch for the sauce, I'm not going to post it here.
Directions
  • Cook the quinoa in the water on the stovetop. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is cooked, about 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool.
  • Using the oil, saute the chopped onion until it is translucent. Add the garlic during the last minute of cooking. This should take about 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
  • In a large bowl, mix the quinoa, onions, garlic, turkey, and remaining ingredients.
  • Place the mixture on a piece of aluminum foil, and shape it into a loaf. Wrap the aluminum foil around the loaf. Poke several small holes in the bottom of the foil for drainage.
  • Place a heatproof bowl or bowls into the bottom of your slow cooker. Put the wrapped loaf on top of the bowls. This will allow your meatloaf to bake while the juices can drain out.
  • Bake on high for 3-4 hours. I've never cooked it on low, but it could probably be done in 6-7 hours. Check with a meat thermometer for a temperature of 165 degrees F for doneness.
 Another time-saving tip for this meal is to cook your veggies in the slow cooker with your meatloaf. I have room in my slow cooker to wrap up some veggies in foil and stick them in there with the meatloaf. I've used both green beans and frozen California mix veggies. Just place on foil, add salt, pepper, and any other spice you want (I use Italian), spray with a squirt of (allergen-free) cooking spray, and wrap it up. Make sure you poke a few holes in the bottom for drainage.

Yum! I wish I had some right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment