Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Message from God

I did something last week that was really idiotic. I'm not going to go into detail about it because it would be too embarrassing, but it was completely unintentional. The worst part is that I'm having a hard time forgiving myself for my mistake.

I was stewing about this while driving and listening to one of my favorite podcasts, the Boundless Show, when a song starting playing. I don't know who sings the song, nor do I remember the tune or the exact words, but I do remember the gist of the song. It said, No one told me I would make mistakes, No one told me it was OK to grieve them. It was like God sent the message straight to me.

Often when I screw up, I get emotionally and mentally tied up in my mistake. I have a hard time letting it go and moving on with my life. I replay and revisit and decide what I should have done instead. In a way it's good to consider situations in hindsight because the situation might come again, but somehow I manage to get totally entrenched in them.

When I heard the song, I felt like God was telling me that it was OK to let go of my struggle. Sure, I made a mistake. Sure, it might have been prevented. But at this point, nothing I could do could amend for my mistake, and wallowing around in it was not helpful.

Maybe you think that this is an elementary concept. Maybe you learned this a long time ago. But maybe you didn't, and this will help you today, just like the song I heard helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment