Sunday, August 9, 2009

Shouldering A Burden

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. Galatians 6:1, 2

Lately it seems like I've been bearing a lot of burdens for other people. Some things have been going on with friends and family that have just been heavy for me.

Part of the problem goes back to my idea that I can take care of things, that anything can be solved, given enough thought. When someone shares their burden with me, I start trying to solve it for them. This usually results in an earache for them, and a headache for me.

My premise is not true, though. I sometimes can give good advice, but usually, I can't help at all. I am not able to DO anything, except listen and pray.

This really bothers me, though, because now I am carrying around the pain and heartache as well as the person who shared it with me. It hurts, it really, really hurts.

The Bible says doing this is fulfilling the law of Christ. I suppose it means when Jesus said, "Love thy neighbor as thyself." Maybe it is a form of love to listen and to care about the burdens of others. Maybe I don't have to have an answer. Maybe I can just be kind, listen, and love them.

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment